To keep your digestive system humming smoothly, there are three main strategies that you can follow:
- Adding probiotics to your diet to build healthy gut flora
- Eat alkalinizing foods to balance your blood pH
Removing toxins from the digestive tract, especially the colon, can facilitate digestion, absorption, nutrient assimilation and elimination. Detox can double up as an elimination diet during which you eliminate certain foods from your diet and add them back in after a week or two, one by one, to see if you are allergic to certain foods – some of these sensitivities can irritate and damage intestinal linings, causing leaky gut syndromes or other digestive ailments.
Here are a few examples of cleansing and detox protocols:
- Fruits and Vegetable Cleansing
- Metabolic Cleansings
- Vitamin C Flush
These protocols should be conducted with the supervision of a wellness professional to ensure safety and efficacy.
At home, you can try carrot and apple juice (aids colon detox), or starting your day with a cup of warm water with juice of half a lemon first thing in the morning on an empty stomach (supports liver).
Healthy Gut Flora
Add foods that are rich in probiotics into your diet, namely cultured and fermented foods, examples include:
- Yogurt and kefir
Alkalinizing blood pH
Create an alkaline internal environment--it is particularly great for facilitating elimination:
- “Green juice” made from algae, spirulina, leafy greens etc. You can get them in powder form in canisters or packets.
- Lemon juice in warm water, most effective when taken in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Fruits and vegetables--besides the alkalinizing properties, the fiber can aid elimination while the enzyme from raw fruits and vegetables can aid digestion and absorption.
Digestive Wellness by Liz Lipski, p.134 – 138