In my recent newsletter, I talked about the best foods to boost collagen and reverse the signs of aging skin and skin damage. (By the way, if you're not getting my newsletter filled with great health tips, you can sign up for it here.) After the summer months with all that glorious sunshine, people tend to worry about their skin.
Skin issues are definitely not skin-deep. Skin is the largest organ in our body, and it reflects the condition inside our body. Sometimes, the best way to relieve skin problems is the fix the root cause so that they can be taken care of once and for all.
These are some possible causes of skin conditions:
- Cold sores and chicken pox = immune system is trying to fight off internal infection
- Rash or hives = allergic reaction to food or medications
- Yellowish skin tone = problem with liver
Also, imbalances in the digestive tract can cause skin disorders:
- Poor digestion and absorption
- Not enough "good" bacteria (gut flora) in the digestive tract
- Overgrowth of candida yeast
- Leaky gut
To support your digestive system, eat foods that are rich in prebiotic and probiotics. To reduce the overgrowth and candida yeast, avoid sugar and flour. To manage leaky gut, investigate possible food intolerance, such as gluten or lactose.
Treat your skin right and it will reward you with a attractive glow, to go with that sparkle in your eyes.